Snort mailing list archives

Snort stops mysteriously

From: Steven () heimann com au
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:11:47 +1000

I think I have seen a few questions about this in recent emails but can't
find any answers.  These mostly seem to relate to Windows services.

I am running Version 1.8-RELEASE (Build 43) under a fairly stock Debian
Potato (kernel 2.2.17).  I upgraded from Snort 1.5 (the standard potato
release) to 1.8 to make it easier to get up to date rules.

Snort has stopped for no apparent reason twice in the last 3 or so days.
There must be some sort of orderly exit because I noticed in my logs this
morning a report of eth1 leaving promiscuous mode which alerted me to the
fact that snort had stopped.  This time it ran for just over 25 hours
before stopping.  I can't see anything else in the logs which might
indicate why this happened.

Any suggestions?

regards
Steven