Snort mailing list archives

Re:[ hello]

From: Matt Scarborough <vexversa () usa net>
Date: 6 Jul 2001 11:48:15 EDT

On Fri, 06 Jul 2001 14:21:30 +0530, Raviraj Patil wrote:

I down loaded the snort-1.7-w32-felxresp-static(ie.
binery).snort-1.7-w32-MySql-static(ie. binery) from the site
www.datanerds.net/~mike.These two r working properly on WinNT .Without
any proble .But from the same (www.datanerds.net/~mike) site i down
loaded snort-1.7-w32-felxresp-source.snort-1.7-w32-MySql-sourec. but it
is not working when i build it with VC ++ 6.0.It is giving a problem of
..When I quit snort it complains as follows:

pcap_loop: read error: PacketReceivePacket failed
pcap_stats: PacketGetStats error
May i know the reson for the same.

If you are running Windows 2000 and using the WinPCap ver. 2.1 driver, remove
that driver in Control Panel |Add /Remove Programs and try WinPCap driver
version 2.02 (for Windows 2000.)

Some things to consider, Both LibNetNT and Snort-W32 FlexResp were
a) written  for NT
b) prior to the introduction of WinPCap 2.1.

Further, the preferred method of packet injection in Windows 2000 is
IP_HDRINCL, not WRITE_IP.

I find it unreasonable to expect Snort Win32-FlexResp, designed for another
Operating System, Winsock version, and device driver, to run without error on
Windows 2000. That is not a deficiency in Snort.

It seems a deficiency in user expectation.

I think which i down loaded from the  site www.datanerds.net/~mike for
binary are not same as sourcess on the same site.
May i get the sources of these snort-1.7-w32-felxresp-static(ie.
binery).snort-1.7-w32-MySql-static(ie. binery) binaries.

Try the links for "development" or "source." The last I checked all were in
the same Snort-Win32 package, configurable at build with some check boxes or
NMake switches.

Matt Scarborough 2001-07-06