Snort mailing list archives

Re: covert channel detection?

From: Hugh Fraser <hugh_fraser () dofasco ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 07:32:53 -0400

Chris Green wrote:

"Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW)" <Paul.Sheahan () priceline com> writes:

I'm still using Snort 1.7 on Linux and plan to upgrade to 1.8 soon. I was
wondering if 1.8 adds any capability to detect covert channels (either icmp
or http)? Or does anyone out there use any custom rules for this? Or is it
expected that trojan detection will suffice in catching covert channels?

The trouble with covert channels is that they are a dime a dozen and
each one of them needs to be analyzed separately.  The old movie
cliche of assassins talking to each other about the multitude of ways
to kill a person parallels the discussions that many groups of
"security professionals" will have regarding covert channels.

It there a particular covert channel you are worried about?  The use
of SPADE might help detect covert channels (it detects anamolous
packets) but it won't be a perfect solution.
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>

I'd like to do the same thing. In addition to Snort, I'm also using NFR for
intrusion detection, which has the ability to check the age of a connection with
each packet received. A simple rule can be written to identify connections which
are uncharacteristically old (like DNS, HTTP, etc.). I don't see that ability in
Snort.