Snort mailing list archives

Re: Add'l lookup info from within ACID?

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 08:02:31 -0700

I don't know about ACID (heh.. haven't touched acid in 25 years.. ;-) but a great manual tool that can be integrated into Perl programs is BW Whois by Bill Weinman.

See:

http://whois.bw.org/

Currently at ver. 2.9, it does a pretty good job of burrowing down to those obscure whois servers scattered all around the planet.

Works from a cli, or you can set up a local cgi-based web page, or, again, call it from Perl.

Apparently it *can* be prodded into working on Window$ platforms...

HTH..

- John

--
John Sage
FinchHaven, Vashon Island, WA, USA

Tom Sevy wrote:

Is there any way to enhance the ACID lookups of IP addresses?  I find that I
am seeing IP addresses that don't have reverse mappings.  So I go to
arin.net to lookup who they belong to.  It would be great that if the FQDN
can't be determined that the IP be looked up in ARIN so at least the owner
info could be easily found out.