Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie questions: logs

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:24:58 -0700

ayse:

ayse () deakin edu au wrote:

Warm greetings to all.

I have just installed snort on one of our boxes (yey)
and am very confused about all the logs.
In the snort directory - I have a

These should all be written-to by different circumstances, depending ;-)

        log

gets results from something like this in a rules file:

log tcp any any <> $HOME_NET any (msg: "Log: TCP packet";)

        alert

gets results from something like this in a rules file:

alert tcp 192.168.0.0/16 any -> $HOME_NET any (msg: "Alert: tcp from 192 private block";)

        portscan.log

gets results from this in snort.conf:

# portscan: detect a variety of portscans
# ---------------------------------------
preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 /var/log/snort/portscan.log

HTH..

- John

--
John Sage
FinchHaven, Vashon Island, WA, USA

The above log files look v. similar in content. Can someone tell me
why the need for 3 outputs or point me to a doco that may enlighten me.
I have only enabled/played with the scan.rules options so far.

Many thanks in advance
ayse