Snort mailing list archives

Re: ICMP logs

From: Neil Dickey <neil () geol niu edu>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:28:03 -0500 (CDT)

jan () hundert6 de wrote asking:

I've tried to write a pass rule for ICMP type 3 code 3 from my
border router to my firewall.

It looks like this:

pass icmp my.border.router/32 any -> my.fire.wall/32 any (itype:"3";icode:"3";)

Snort doesn't complain and starts nicely, but keeps logging
them, although I DID specify -o.

Version's 1.7, Platform FreeBSD 4.2 STABLE.

Any suggestions? Drives me mad.

I don't know that this would cause a problem, but my "itype" specifications
look like this ...

  itype: 3;

... rather than with the quotes and no space.

Did you comment out the rule that alerts on these packets, or alter it so
that it wouldn't see them?  I think I would have tried that before writing
a pass rule.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop