Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem with resp

From: Bamm Visscher <bamm () satx rr com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 22:34:44 -0500

Before implementing tcp-resets, I suggest looking at the signature, and
more importantly, how the protocol for the connection you are attempting
to reset works. Attempting to reset http/web traffic is next to
pointless when looking for content like "cmd.exe". On the other hand,
resetting on the content "cat /etc/pass" (yes, I realize this is a
cheesy example) in a telnet connection will often be successful.  Of
course this depends on the packets being "streamed" in the detection
engine since, unless the individual issuing the command is one heck of a
typist, each packet will be lucky to contain more than a couple of
characters. Also, notice how I reset at "pass" rather than "passwd".
This gives a us head start, and our reset only needs to beat the packet
containing the "\n".

The best use I have found for tcp-reset, is short-term incident
containment. In some (usually larger) organizations, the individuals
responsible for network security monitoring, do not neccessarily have
access to the firewalls/routers. So, once a compromise has been
detected, tcp-reset can be used to deny connections to/from the source
and/or dest hosts based on the ip addrs until the compromised system can
be removed from the network or filtered at the FW/router. Once long term
containment and IR procedures have been implemented, the reset rule can
be removed.

Bammkkkk

Bamm Visscher
Ball AeroSpace & Technology Corp.
Managed Security Services
rvisscher () saball com

Joe McAlerney wrote:

In most people's experience, the spoofed packets generated by Snort to
close the connection does not get sent out in time.  The true packets
get transmitted, then the spoofed packets stumble in with out-of-order
sequence numbers.  So, the connection is not reset.  I have heard that
libpcap is the bottleneck, and there is not really an easy way to solve
this.

Perhaps someone else can elaborate more.

-Joe M.