Snort mailing list archives

Re: At configure: No such file or directory

From: H D Moore <hdm () secureaustin com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 02:53:16 -0500

Hrm, snort may not build on a 2.4 machine.  Try resinstalling 2.2.x kernel
source, backup your old, compile snort, then switch them out again.

On Saturday 12 May 2001 08:27 pm, John Sage wrote:
Actually, I was kinda in the process of putting 2.4.x on, but that got
put off a bit until I finish building another user space box, and have
nothing but firewall stuff on my firewall box, which is where I was
trying to install Snort.

H D Moore wrote:
Your kernel source isnt setup right.  You probably want to recompile your
own kernel anyways, so grab the latest kernel tarball (2.2.19), maybe
some security patches (www.openwall.com), untar into /usr/src, mv linux
to linux-2.2.19, symlink 2.2.19 to linux, cd linux, make mrproper, make
menuconfig, make deps, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install,
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/2219, edit lilo.conf, run lilo,  and
reboot.

Or, you can just reinstall the linux includes RPM from Red Hat, but thats
the wimpy way to do it ;)

Yeah, that's what I kind of surprised about: it seems surprising that stuff
isn't where it's supposed to be, except that Red Hat's famous for that...

Doh!

Wait! I'd renamed linux linux_old to keep the 2.2.14 kernel when I thought
I was gonna be putting on the 2.4.x kernel right away -- about four weeks
ago -- and had forgotten about it completely!

Thanks for responding and helping me think through the kernel compile
process and making me remember what I'd done!

mv linux_old linux fixed everything!

Once again, There's Always An Answer(tm) ;-)

- John

--
John Sage
FinchHaven, Vashon Island, WA, USA