Snort mailing list archives

Re: alarm levels assigned to Snort rules

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: 26 Jun 2001 15:23:39 -0500

tim.gray1 () firstunion com writes:

Is there a utility or resource out there which somehow, (maybe by creating
custom ruletypes), generates alarm levels for different attacks?

Let me explain more: Say I want password-crack attack signatures to be
considered a level 5 alarm, and if this signature is detected, it will
execute a paging program and log the alarm to a database.
If the attack signature is just an ftp attempt, I consider it a level 2 and
I want to only log the attempt to a file.

These are what definable ruletypes are for.  The priorties ( a
solution in another reply ) in the output are designed for
postprocessing tools rather than the internals of snort.

Ruletypes allow you to create your own rules rather than 'alert':

See http://www.snort.org/writing_snort_rules.htm#rule_header
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.