Snort mailing list archives

Re: Starting snort against multiple interfaces?

From: Fyodor <fygrave () tigerteam net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:37:22 +0700

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 12:30:45PM -0400, Kiira Triea wrote:

Ok, it's my day for goofy questions I guess. I have recompiled
snort using Sebastian Krahmer's patched libpcap, I am using a
2.2.16 kernel and all went well with the build. If I understand
the docs I've found on this I should be able to start snort like:
'./snort -D -i any -c snort.conf' and have it read from all nics?

Instead I get

Initializing Network Interface any
ioctl(SIOCGIFMTU): No such device
ERROR: Can not get MTU of an interface any!

????

Looks like old snort (1.7x something) is used here. :) We have done a
few fixes here:
1. It's recomended to use recent version from www.tcpdump.org, they have
fixed a few things in Sebastian's code and incorporated the patch.
2. More recent snort, we have fixed support of interface 'any' in it :)