Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS, portscan, & laptops

From: Brian Caswell <bmc () mitre org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:36:49 -0400

Andrew Daviel wrote:

A little gotcha - well, as it relates to my reporter script
http://andrew.triumf.ca/pub/security/reporter/

The notes say to ignore DNS servers to avoid triggering the portscan
plugin. So I ignore the root nameservers, our onsite users use our
onsite nameservers, occasional DNS lookups are ignored, and everything
is OK.
Then someone brings a laptop onsite, forgets to reconfigure the
DNS from their home ISP, and does a lot of surfing. Result, 2 automated
complaints sent to their ISP (followed by manual "sorry! please ignore.").
I since fixed the script to ignore UDP source port 53.

Normally, I suppose, you would like to know about someone
misconfigured like this, but probably not to panic...

This would be yet another reason for NOT automagicly doing things like
automail or autofirewall.  You are going to shot yourself in the foot
like this.

Never never never never do anything but wave big red flags at yourself
automagicly.  Computers are smart, but computers don't know politics.
Heck, people don't know politics.  Why should computers know any
better?

--
Brian Caswell
The MITRE Corporation