Snort mailing list archives

A little confused.

From: "Leandro Asnaghi-Nicastro" <leandro () capnasty org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:37:16 -0400

Howdy.

Forgive me for being this stupid, I guess I just ain't bright.

I installed Snort (thanks again to everyone for their help) and it
works.  Now, since I installed LogCheck, I wanted Snort to throw the
logs out to syslog instead of the directories.

This would allow me to receive hourly reports on what Snort found.

So this is what I have come up with (as far as I understand) for the
command line:

/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort.conf -s -N -D

So:

-c loads snort.conf
-s Log alerts sent to syslog
-N Turn off logging (I'm assuming this is in the directories?  I don't
want it writing in the directories, just say what's up in the syslog)
-D daemon

Is that it?

Also, inside /etc/snort.conf

Does the entry of an IP number have to appear as:

var DNS_SERVERS [10.80.1.3]

Or?

var DNS_SERVERS 10.80.1.3

Again, sorry.
Thank you again for your time.
___
leandro asnaghi-nicastro - editor in chief
capital of nasty - http://www.capnasty.org
leandro () capnasty org - icq uin: 889318

Prayer does not change God, but changes him who prays.
 -- Kierkegaard (1813-1855)