Snort mailing list archives

Installing Snort on Slackware kernel 2.2.16

From: "Leandro Asnaghi-Nicastro" <leandro () capnasty org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:31:53 -0400

First of all, I'd like to thank all those that wrote to me and helped
me, especially Olivier Grumelard that took the time and had the
patience to push me in the right direction.

This is the error you'll enconter when compiling libpcap with make
install-incl:

root@io:/home/leandro/libpcap-0.4# make install-incl
/usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 444 -o bin -g bin ./pcap.h \
    /usr/local/include/pcap.h
/usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 444 -o bin -g bin ./pcap-namedb.h \
    /usr/local/include/pcap-namedb.h
/usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 444 -o bin -g bin ./net/bpf.h \
    /usr/local/include/net/bpf.h
/usr/bin/ginstall: cannot create regular file
`/usr/local/include/net/bpf.h': No such file or directory
make: *** [install-incl] Error 1
root@io:/home/leandro/libpcap-0.4#

What you have to do is a little strange (for a newbie, not for a pro ;-)

As you can see it complains for the lack of /net/bpf.h.
You can find that file here:

root@io:/home/leandro/libpcap-0.4# cd net
root@io:/home/leandro/libpcap-0.4/net# ls bpf.h
bpf.h
root@io:/home/leandro/libpcap-0.4/net#

If you go where it's looking for the file you'll notice it's not there:

root@io:/home/leandro/libpcap-0.4/net# cd /usr/local/include/
root@io:/usr/local/include# ls
pcap-namedb.h  pcap.h

root@io:/usr/local/include# cd net
bash: cd: net: No such file or directory

So, you make the directory:

root@io:/usr/local/include# mkdir net
root@io:/usr/local/include# cd net
root@io:/usr/local/include/net# cd /home/leandro/libpcap-0.4/net/

Then you copy the file over from where the source tree is:

root@io:/home/leandro/libpcap-0.4/net# cp bpf.h
/usr/local/include/net/bpf.h

And then make install-incl again:

root@io:/home/leandro/libpcap-0.4# make install-incl
/usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 444 -o bin -g bin ./pcap.h \
    /usr/local/include/pcap.h
/usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 444 -o bin -g bin ./pcap-namedb.h \
    /usr/local/include/pcap-namedb.h
/usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 444 -o bin -g bin ./net/bpf.h \
    /usr/local/include/net/bpf.h
root@io:/home/leandro/libpcap-0.4#

No complains.

At this point, you can untarball Snort and install it and all you're left
to do is configure it.

Which is what I'll do right now ;-)

Hope this helps any of you,
leandro
___
leandro asnaghi-nicastro - editor in chief
capital of nasty - http://www.capnasty.org
leandro () capnasty org - icq uin: 889318

[something profound goes here]