Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Question about HIPAA Compliance in application development

From: Chris Schmidt <chrisisbeef () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:31:41 -0600

For example, there are HIPPA access control requirements that demand that you only give doctors access to transmit
patient data in a minimal way; only transmitting data needed for a diagnosis. Good luck coding that. It's also bad
medicine.

Sounds like contextual access control to me - someone wrote a pretty good blog about that once :)

I do however, agree on the bad medicine point - just like in diagnosing software bugs, often something seemingly
unrelated to the problem you are addressing is either a contributing factor or the root of the problem itself! This is
why engineers should be the ones writing the standards instead of standards authors. :)

Sent from my iPwn