Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Food for thought on app sec

From: Rohit Sethi <rklists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:55:00 -0500

Hi Steven, thanks for your response. I absolutely agree that part of the
reason we see high false positive rates  / false negative rates in automated
tools out of the box is because these tools are being measured against
domain-specific vulnerabilities when really they should be primarily used
for domain-agnostic vulnerabilities. Fine tuning can certainly help in this
area.

In your example, I'd still argue that XSS is domain-agnostic. The issue is
simply that in certain contexts you may accept the risk of XSS - after all,
the administrator could be malicious in inserting those script tags. You
could make a similar argument for a tool that allows users to create
arbitrary SQL statements as being vulnerable to SQL injection. We can still
use domain agnostic tools, people, and processes to find XSS and SQL
Injection even if in some cases the risk is acceptable for the use of the
application.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Steven M. Christey <