Secure Coding mailing list archives

informIT: Stuxnet = hard core software security

From: Gary McGraw <gem () cigital com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:58:14 -0400

hi sc-l,

The initial flurry of coverage about the Stuxnet worm (all about 0days, rootkit stealth, and botnet CC) was barking up
the wrong tree.  Turns out that Stuxnet was aimed at injecting code directly into a programmable logic controller and
thus directly impacting a physical system.  On Tuesday, I was in the room with a bunch of hard core process control
engineers when the first analysis was published.  Stunning.  And awful.

Here are my thoughts about stuxnet in "How to p0wn a Process Control System"
<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1636983>

It is critical that we all understand that software security goes well beyond web applications.

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague