Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Agile (Scrum) best security practices and experiences?

From: "Dave Wichers" <dave.wichers () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 01:33:10 -0400

I did a couple of talks on this. The first was at OWASP AppSec EU 2008.

The talk abstract is here:
http://forum.owasp.org/index.php/AppSecEU08_Agile_Security_Breaking_the_
Waterfall_Mindset

And my slides are available at:
http://forum.owasp.org/index.php/AppSecEU08#Agenda_and_Presentations_-_M
ay_21-22 (search for my name 'Wichers')

I then did a reprise/updated version at OWASP AppSec US in NY in 2008.
The slides and a video of the presentation are available here:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_NYC_AppSec_2008_Conference

Erlend Oftedal, of Bekk Consulting, then did a good talk from the
developers viewpoint at OWASP AppSec EU 2009, and the slides are
available here:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_AppSec_Europe_2009_-_Poland#tab=Con
ference_-_May_13 (search for his name). There is a video of his talk
too, but it may be missing the audio (which is a shame).

I felt that my talks were kind of from the macro view of the problem
(i.e., top level down), where Erlend's talk was from the micro view
(bottom up) based on his experiences in the trenches as a developer
learning and trying to do security in agile.

I found both viewpoints useful and complementary.

-Dave