Secure Coding mailing list archives

Silver Bullet: Fred Schneider

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:51:32 -0400

hi sc-l,

The 41st epsiode of Silver Bullet just went live.  This episode features a conversation with Fred Schneider, a computer
sceince professor at Cornell and a very important thought leader in security research.  Fred was the author of the
seminal National Academies study "Trust in Cyberspace".  We talk about the relationship between reliability and
security, about fault tolerant systems, and about diversity as a security mechanism.  We also talk about writing secure
code, outlawing C, and the end of the age of bugs.  Fred brings up the idea of categories of attack and the evolution
of attacks from configuration, through bugs, to flaws and finally to trust problems.

http://www.cigital.com/silverbullet/show-041/

Fred is particularly well spoken and cogent, and it was a great privilege to chat about security with him.  As always,
your feedback is welcome.

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/realitycheck