Secure Coding mailing list archives

Conditional Compile statements-- coding standards, and code review

From: rcs at cert.org (Robert Seacord)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:37:35 -0500

Sean,

I think you would want to provide this guarantee through some sort of static assertion.  For example, if you want to
ensure that text controlled by FRED is not included in a release build, you could include an #error preprocessor
directive as part of the controlled text that will generate an error message for a release build:

#ifdef FRED
#  define MACRO(x) (x + 5)
#  ifdef NDEBUG
#     error "FRED defined in release build"
#  endif
#endif

The idea here is that NDEBUG would be defined for a release build. If FRED and NDEBUG were defined in the same build it
would result in a fatal compile-time diagnostic.

I'm not sure if there is a more elegant or widely deployed solution to this problem.

rCs