Secure Coding mailing list archives

CSSLP

From: lists at ticm.com (Bret Watson)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:14:56 +0900

Although point entry is tedious, it keeps the cert honest. You
can't spend 3
years converting oxygen into CO2 and remain certified. You actually have to
do a few things. A CISSP person who has renewed once or twice is quite
different from someone who has passed the exam after a cram
session. Someone
who certified once and lets their certification lapse is indistinguishable
from the marginally-qualified candidate who crammed, passed, but ultimately
couldn't maintain their cert.

OK I'll bite...

1. entering the CPE points was the drag - the interface was horrible and slow.
2. I didn't do a cram session - after 12 years as a it security
manager I passed it in 40 minutes (and I had actually been through
the questions three times by then)
3. To be honest I didn't expect otherwise - the exam was intended to
certify people with the appropriate experience - originally, then
someone found out what a money spinner it was to run cram schools for
it since the questions are multiple choice - that is where the value
of  CISSP was lost.

To me having a CISSP is a good measure when I'm looking for a
mid-level consultant, not a junior. If the mid-level consultant
doesn't have the CISSP - then good chance they are padding their
experience. However if they renew it - I just consider their last
company was willing to fund it.

I find certifications are useful for two things only
1. it proves you can pass the exam, no matter that you went to the
cram school or not - something must have stuck.
2. HR likes it because its easy to filter resumes

Without the experience - someone with a cert is like someone with a
degree - no experience to be able to convert knowledge into practice.

Of course certs with real practical exams are something else - I'll
pay them any day. SANS, CISCO, MS all have these and they have real
value - you can't cram for them and they actually test your ability
to extrapolate from your knowledge into the real world.

Cheers

Bret