Secure Coding mailing list archives

BSIMM: Confessions of a Software SecurityAlchemist(informIT)

From: coley at linus.mitre.org (Steven M. Christey)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:30:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, ljknews wrote:

The root problem (and I do not care about the terminology)
is that the C programming language promotes the use of
uncounted strings.

I'd rephrase that because buffer overflows apply to many other data types
besides strings.  Anything using an array of pointer arithmetic is
potentially subject to overflows.  I have little doubt that when you
launch 200 simultaneous connections against a bunch of applications, some
of them will crash because the programmer only allocated enough memory to
store 100 connections at once.  A lot of the IOCTL overflows going on
right now are more about malformed data structures than strings, as are
many of the file format vulns.

- Steve