Secure Coding mailing list archives

BSIMM: Confessions of a Software Security Alchemist (informIT)

From: jsteven at cigital.com (John Steven)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:46:17 -0400

Steve,

You saw my talk at the OWASP assurance day. There was a brief diversion about the number of "business logic" problems
and "design flaws" (coarsely lumped together in my chart). That 'weight' should indicate that-at least in the subset of
clients I deal with-flaws aren't getting short-shrift.

http://www.owasp.org/images/9/9e/Maturing_Assessment_through_SA.ppt (for those who didn't see it)

You may also want to look at my OWASP NoVA chapter presentation on "why" we believe Top N lists are bad... It's not so
much a rant as it is a set of limitations in ONLY taking at Top N approach, and a set of constructive steps forward to
improve one's practices:

http://www.owasp.org/images/d/df/Moving_Beyond_Top_N_Lists.ppt.zip

I cover how one should cause their own organization-specific Top N list to emerge and how to manage it once it does.

----
John Steven
Senior Director; Advanced Technology Consulting
Direct: (703) 404-5726 Cell: (703) 727-4034
Key fingerprint = 4772 F7F3 1019 4668 62AD  94B0 AE7F EEF4 62D5 F908

Blog: http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague
Papers: http://www.cigital.com/papers/jsteven

http://www.cigital.com
Software Confidence. Achieved.