Secure Coding mailing list archives

Unclassified NSA document on .NET 2.0 Framework Security

From: dinis at ddplus.net (Dinis Cruz)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:33:59 +0000

So does this mean that the NSA is recommending .NET applications to be
develop so that they can be executed in partially trusted environments?
(i.e. not in full trust?)

Last time I check just about everybody was developing Full Trust .NET
applications (did this change in the last year?)

Don't get me wrong, this is a great document if one is interested in writing
applications that use CAS (Code Access Security), I would love for this to
be widely used.

But all great recommendations, like for example:

"... Recommendation: Only grant the File IO access permissions Read, Write,
or Append to code that is trusted not to allow unauthorized access to file
system resources.  Grant File IO access to the most restrictive set of files
and folders possible.  Do not grant File IO access to file system roots or
other broadly specified resources simply because they contain a few
scattered files of interest. ...", page 17

"... Recommendation: In following with least privilege, grant the Data
Protection permission to the most restrictive set of permissions
possible....", page 26

"... Recommendation: The Socket Access permission should only be granted to
highly trusted code or code that originates from the local network
(evidenced by a strong name withservices....", page 28

"... Recommendation: The Allow Calls to Unmanaged Assemblies permission
should be granted only to code that is trusted to execute with the same
privileges as the user's account under which the code is running. ...", page
48

only mean anything on partially-trusted environment (i.e. non-full trust
applications).

Dinis Cruz