Secure Coding mailing list archives

InternetNews Realtime IT News - Merchants Cope With PCI Compliance

From: mkgavin at hotmail.com (Michael Gavin)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:13:39 -0400

Hi Stephen,

Yes, organizations must resolve the issues discovered by the automated tools, at least to the extent that the tool no
longer complains.

While implementing both options of requirement 6.6 is recommended, it is not required by PCI DSS.

Instead of doing what you propose, I suspect most companies will use an automated tool, deal with the underlying issues
in their codebase, and run the tool again; but not do that plus buy and deploy a WAF as well.

Michael> Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:02:01 +0800> From: stephencraig.evans at gmail.com> To: mkgavin at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SC-L] InternetNews Realtime IT News - Merchants Cope With PCI Compliance> CC: gunnar at arctecgroup.net;
ken at krvw.com; sc-l at securecoding.org> > Hi Michael,> > > So, unfortunately for the WAF vendors, people can just
use a static source> > code analysis tool or a web application vulnerability scanner instead of> > purchasing and
deploying a WAF.> > I don't know much about PCI 6.6 (yet), but don't the organizations> have to mitigate the
vulnerabilities found? (fix, bear or transfer> risk, use a different security control..) Surely one just doesn't have>
to just run the tool... I am guessing that WAFs can mitigate a> considerable amount of these vulnerabilities. Automated
tools suck at> finding business logic flaws which just so happens to be a WAF's> supposed weakness, too.> > So to me it
seems to be a perfect marriage: automated tools that can> only find bugs and WAFs that can only fix bugs :-)> >
Stephen> > On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Michael Gavin <mkgavin at hotmail.com> wrote:> > I too was wondering how
much of a boon 6.6 would be to the WAF vendors> > and/or the companies that do security code reviews. That is, until
4/22,> > when the PCI SSC issued a press release> > (https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/04-22-08.pdf) announcing
an> > information supplement clarifying requirement 6.6> >
(https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/infosupp_6_6_applicationfirewalls_codereviews.pdf).> >> > Clearly,
completing security code reviews on all of those web applications> > and/or protecting them with those expensive "magic
pizza boxes," which,> > last time that I checked (almost 2 years ago now) were running about $35K to> > start, wasn't
going to happen any time soon.> >> > The good news from that "information supplement" is that the PCI Security> >
Standards Council defined what they mean by an application firewall and> > specified what it is supposed to do; the
less good news is that they> > specified 4 alternative methods for satisfying the code review option: 1.> > manual
security code review, 2. automated security code review, 3. manual> > web application vulnerability scan, and 4.
automated web application> > vulnerability scan. While I think automation of code reviews and> > vulnerability scans is
essential, I also believe that none of the automated> > tools are yet sufficient (completeness-wise) without some
additional manual> > effort.> >> > So, unfortunately for the WAF vendors, people can just use a static source> > code
analysis tool or a web application vulnerability scanner instead of> > purchasing and deploying a WAF.> >> > Michael>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:17:34 -0500> >> From: gunnar at arctecgroup.net> >> To: ken at krvw.com> >> CC: SC-L at
securecoding.org> >> Subject: Re: [SC-L] InternetNews Realtime IT News - Merchants Cope With> >> PCI Compliance> >>> >>
for the vast majority of the profession - slamming the magic pizza box in> >> a rack> >> is more preferable than
talking to developers. in many cases the biggest> >> barrier> >> to getting better security in companies is the
so-called information> >> security> >> group. it has very little to do with technology, its a people problem.> >>> >>
-gp> >>> >> Kenneth Van Wyk wrote:> >> > Happy PCI-DSS 6.6 day, everyone. (Wow, that's a sentence you don't hear> >> >
often.)> >> >> >> > http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/3755916> >> >> >> > In talking with my customers
over the past several months, I always find> >> > it interesting that the vast majority would sooner have root canal
than> >> > submit their source code to anyone for external review. I'm betting PCI> >> > 6.6 has been a boon for the
web application firewall (WAF) world.> >> >> >> >> >> > Cheers,> >> >> >> > Ken> >> >> >> > -----> >> > Kenneth R. van