Secure Coding mailing list archives

Open Source Code Contains Security Holes -- Open Source -- InformationWeek

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:18:14 -0500

SC-L,

I imagine many of you have seen the results of Coverity's DHS-funded
scan of a *bunch* of open source projects:

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205600229&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

The stats are interesting, I suppose.  I don't see any prioritization
of the defects, but I imagine those were provided to the various open
source project leaders.

The question that isn't addressed here, and I'm sure was well outside
of the scope of the project, is what each open source project *did*
with the vulnerability information BEYOND just fixing the bugs?  Did
they merely fix the problems and move on?  Or, did they use the
defects as an opportunity to educate their team members on how to
avoid these same sorts of things from creeping back in to the src
tree?  If they simply treated the vul lists as checklists of things to
fix, then I'd expect a similar study in (say) five years to be just as
bad as the recent Coverity study.

I think it's important to learn from mistakes, not just fix them and
get on with things.  I sure hope the open source teams in this study
did some of that.  If any SC-Lers have insight here, please share.

Cheers,

Ken

-----
Kenneth R. van Wyk