Secure Coding mailing list archives

COBOL Exploits

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:41:48 -0400

On Nov 2, 2007, at 12:13 AM, Mark Rockman wrote:
I'm sure you can write COBOL programs that crash, but it must be
hard to make them take control of the operating system.

If software exploits were "only" isolated to OS compromise, that'd be
just fine.  But let's not forget that an application can be thoroughly
compromised by an attacker who never leaves the realm of the
application -- e.g., providing spoofed credentials to read another
user's customer data in a database app.  The business logic data
access control (authorization) is just one area of an app that
transcends implementation language.  A poorly design authorization
model can be implemented in pretty much anything, I believe.

Let's get past the simple buffer overflow exploit to get OS access.
IMHO, it's right to consider mainframe/COBOL apps carefully.  Although
we likely won't find a buffer overflow "smoking gun", I'll bet we are
likely to find examples of bad security logic that can lead to app
compromise.  Plus, let's face it, modern attacks are moving more and
more towards the pure application layer (think XSS, SQL/XML injection,
cross-site request forgery, etc.), AND they're increasingly
financially motivated.

Cheers,

Ken

-----