Secure Coding mailing list archives

Insider threats and software

From: fw at deneb.enyo.de (Florian Weimer)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:19:22 +0200

* Gary McGraw:

My darkreading column this month is devoted to insiders, but with a
twist.  In this article, I argue that software components which run
on untrusted clients (AJAX anyone?  WoW clients?) are an interesting
new flavor of insider attack.

I really wish this were something new. 8-(

In client/server applications, it's not too uncommon that the client
connects to the server with a hard-coded password, uses that to
download some kind of authentication table, and looks up a
user-supplied password in it.  If it's not found, the authentication
fails.  Apparantly, you can save some client licenses with such a
setup.