Secure Coding mailing list archives

Technology-specific Security Standards

From: list-procurare at secureconsulting.net (Benjamin Tomhave)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 19:57:15 -0400

In my experience, a tiered approach is useful.  The higher up you are in the
policy framework, the more general and time-enduring the content should be.
The farther you progress down the framework to a more detailed level, the
more perishable the content will be, out of necessity.  The reason that
we've adopted specific guidance bound at the technical level is because
implementers need it.  They're not security experts (usually) and do not
necessarily grok security the same way a seasoned (salty?) security person
might.

A couple colleagues and I actually chatted about this around the same time
that the original message here is timestamped, in the context of application
security standards.  The approach we're planning to adopt is to provide
good, minimally-specific guidance in our formal standards documents (e.g.
"implement input validation") and the produce living implementation guides
(possibly in a wiki form) that can be referenced in relation to the
standards.  We'll see how this works in reality, but it seems to be a nice
mix in theory between provide specific requirements without getting so far
into the weeds that it will require constant rewriting as the underlying
technologies change.

fwiw.

-ben

---
Benjamin Tomhave, MS, CISSP, NSA-IAM, NSA-IEM
falcon at secureconsulting.net
Web: http://falcon.secureconsulting.net/
LI: http://www.linkedin.com/in/btomhave
Blog: http://www.secureconsulting.net/
Photos: http://photos.secureconsulting.net/

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all
citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression,
any injustice, any hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization."
-President Franklin Delano Roosevelt