Secure Coding mailing list archives

Best practices for encrypting client-side data

From: robin at kallisti.net.nz (Robin Sheat)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:47:00 +1200

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 05:04:53 you wrote:
You go on to describe (I think) crypto operations that take place
completely on the client site. What is the relationship between the
encrypted data and server client->server communications?
For the purposes of this, there isn't. It was just to illustrate the point
that a password is required and is checked by another component of the
system. All the crypto (that I'm interested in here) is completely
client-side.

* The salt is currently hard-coded. It should be regenerated for every
encryption operation in order to make it that much harder (question:
should it be a different salt used for every file encrypted by a user, or
one salt across all files by that user? Does it matter?)
You should have a random salt every time you generate a hash or key.
Y'know, thinking about it more, I don't think that a salt would help at all in
this situation. I'm not storing a hash of the password anywhere, the data is
encrypted with the hash of the password, and to decrypt, the hash is
regenerated from the user-supplied password.

...actually, I take that back. It would mean that each file (the data is
composed of multiple smallish files) would have a different key, so if the
attacker found the key to one, but not the password, they couldn't get to the
other files. A small gain, but a gain nonetheless.

--
Robin <robin at kallisti.net.nz> JabberID: <eythian at jabber.kallisti.net.nz>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0xA99CEB6D = 5957 6D23 8B16 EFAB FEF8  7175 14D3 6485 A99C EB6D