Secure Coding mailing list archives

Harvard vs. von Neumann

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:25:01 -0400

On Jun 14, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Gary McGraw wrote:
I am in complete agreement with your thinking, which is why one of
the touchpoints (and chapter 9 of "Software Security" is about
operations.  Ken knows more about this than any of us, but he's on
a plane now...right Ken?

Wow, I'd stop far short of such strong words, but I have spent a
great deal of time in operations land, and I am convinced we're (all)
missing out on significant opportunities to enhance our software
security by better making use of deployment security, for lack of a
better term.  I've seen far too many "one size fits all" approaches
to software deployments that fall far short of adequately protecting
the app, much less enabling the detection and response of issues when
they come up.

Cheers,

Ken

P.S. And yes, I was on a plane.  Greetings from Lisbon, en route to
Sevilla, Spain for the FIRST conference.  I'll again toss out the
offer to meet with any SC-Lers who are at the conference.
-----
Kenneth R. van Wyk
SC-L Moderator
KRvW Associates, LLC