Secure Coding mailing list archives

Dark Reading - Desktop Security - Here Comes the (Web) Fuzz- Security News Analysis

From: jms at bughunter.ca (J. M. Seitz)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:32:25 -0800

In my personal experience with web app testing, I have found that web
fuzzers are not nearly as useful as fuzzers used for applications, and more
specifically I have found numerous bugs doing direct API fuzzing. In the
case of testing web applications I find that using something like
SpiDynamics tool is great for a first pass as a black box test, but to
really get an idea of how bad the vulnerability is, the extent, etc. manual
testing is an absolute must. I know that most people on this list don't
necessarily believe in fuzzing as a good security test, and I can hear Gary
groaning already, but I think that fuzzing tools are becoming more and more
intelligent, and you are soon going to see some extremely powerful tools in
this arena. Check out the paper on genetic algorithms and fuzzing from
BlackHat as well as the tool from Jared DeMott at Applied Security.

As for Metasploit, its a very sweet tool, as well as a very useful framework
for learning and developing exploits, particularly the tricky IE+ActiveX
heap nastiness that requires a little kung fu and a lot of coffee.

JS

  _____