Secure Coding mailing list archives

Announcement: The Cross-site Request Forgery FAQ

From: bugtraq at cgisecurity.net (bugtraq at cgisecurity.net)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:13:20 -0500 (EST)

 http://www.cgisecurity.com/articles/csrf-faq.shtml

Regarding, "Who discovered CSRF?", the attack is mentioned in section
4.3.5 of RFC 2109, which dates back February 1997.  Of course, the
suggested remedies look rather strange today.

I hadn't seen that I'll add a brief note about that.

You characterisation of cross-site scripting attacks ("Cross-Site
Scripting exploits the trust that a user has for the website or
application.") is somewhat misleading, unless one reads "client" for
"user".

Yes that wording is much better. Updated thanks for pointing it out.

- Robert