Secure Coding mailing list archives

QASEC Announcement: Writing Software Security Test Cases

From: jms at bughunter.ca (J. M. Seitz)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 07:13:07 -0800

This is great, and something I have incorporated into our own cycle
previously, as carving out a spot on our team as the "security engineer"
didn't seem to work. But by creating a process for including security
testing, abuse cases, etc. I was able to incorporate security without a big
hit to the team. This sold management on the fact that it can be a simple
and seamless process and soon became adopted. The other half of it is that
you have to be the person on the team who always is thinking in terms of the
corner cases, the worst case scenarios, the one who aggravates the
development team the most.

I still find that at times you have to raise concerns and show
vulnerabilities by actually writing the POC exploits. An example of this
would be a portable encrypted filesystem that was used to protect data the
application used. No one understood that no matter how long the password
was, nor the 256 "bank level" encryption, the filesystem was still insecure
in it's _implementation_! By writing an exploit using DLL injection, some
exported function hooking and by outputting the password into a plaintext
file, the eyes of many were opened. Little did anyone know that part of
developing a secure application you have to do it not only in the code, but
it it's build process, deployment, etc. But once again the next time a major
flaw comes into light, you find yourself in the wee hours of the morning
writing a POC to prove just how bad it is.

The question to the list is: Can we ever get away from costly exploit
development? Has anyone developed techniques in reporting and disclosure
that allowed them to avoid a massive caffeine addiction?

JS