Secure Coding mailing list archives

Economics of Software Vulnerabilities

From: ge at linuxbox.org (Gadi Evron)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:50:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Crispin Cowan wrote:
Ed Reed wrote:
For a long time I thought that software product liability would
eventually be forced onto developers in response to their long-term
failure to take responsibility for their shoddy code.  I was mistaken.
The pool of producers (i.e., the software industry) is probably too
small for such blunt economic policy to work.

I'm not sure about the size of the pool. I think it is more about the
amount of leverage that can be put on software:

    * It is trivial for some guy in a basement to produce a popular
      piece of open source software, which ends up being used as a
      controlling piece of a nuclear reactor, jet airplane, or
      automobile, and when it fails, $millions or $billions of damages
      result. The software author has no where near the resources to pay
      the damage, or even the insurance premiums on the potential damage.
    * In contrast, with physical stuff it is usually the case that the
      ability to cause huge damage requires huge capital in the first
      place, such as building nuclear reactors, jet planes, and cars.

With this kind of leverage, the software producers don't have the
resources to take responsibility, and so strict liability applied to
authors reduces to "don't produce software" unless, possibly, you work
for a very large corporation with deep pockets. Even then, corporate
bean counters would likely prevent you from writing any software because
the potential liability is so large.

It appears, now, that producers will not be regulated, but rather users
and consumers.  SOX, HIPAA, BASEL II, etc. are all about regulating
already well-established business practices that just happen to be
incorporating more software into their operations.

Much like the gun industry. Powerful, deadly tools that, if used
inappropriately, can cause huge damage.

Indeed, and I found your posts enlightening.

Still, today an alternative presentsitself in the now more likely realm of
software security certification and testing. It has become more easier and
potentially regulated now that fuzzers have become:

1. Good enough.
2. Measurable.
3. Widely accessible.

        Gadi.