Secure Coding mailing list archives

Disclosure: vulnerability pimps? or super heroes?

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 07:00:15 -0500

On Mar 5, 2007, at 9:30 PM, Gary McGraw wrote:
I think some vendors have come around to the economics argument. In
every case, those vendors with extreme reputation exposure have
attempted to move past penetrate and patch.  Microsoft, for one, is
trying hard, but (to use my broken leg analogy) they had a sever
case of osteoporosis and must take lots of calcium to build up bone
mass.   The financial vertical, led by the credit card consortiums
is likewise making good progress.  Other vendors with less brand
exposure (or outright apathy from users) are slower on the uptake.

Having spent several years on the incident handling side of this
argument at CMU's CERT/CC, US. Dept. of Defense, etc., I thought I'd
chime in here as well.  It's encouraging to me to see that many
vendors now recognize the reputation exposure and economics
argument.  I know that in my years at CERT (1989-1993), we were more
than once threatened by uncooperative vendors, saying that they would
sue us if we published information about their product's
vulnerabilities.  We spent years developing those vendor
relationships and building up some level of mutual trust.  It's not
always an easy path.

In the "full disclosure" years, it's been my observation that many
vendors get forced into publishing patches when the "vulnerability
pimps" (as Marcus calls them) call them out in public.  Without a
doubt, that's lead many vendors to respond more quickly and more
publicly than they otherwise might have.  At the same time, (and to
try to bring this thread back to *software security*) I'm concerned
about the software security ramifications of being bullied into
patching something too quickly.  While a simple strcpy-->strncpy (or
similar) src edit takes just moments, and shouldn't impact the
functionality and reliability of any software, patches are rarely
that simple.  When software producers are forced to develop patches
in unnaturally rushed situations, bigger problems (IMHO) will
inevitably be introduced.

So, I applaud the public disclosure model from the standpoint of
consumer advocacy.  But, I'm convinced that we need to find a process
that better balances the needs of the consumer against the secure
software engineering needs.  Some patches can't reasonably be
produced in the amount of time that the "vulnerability pimps" give
the vendors.

Cheers,

Ken
-----