Secure Coding mailing list archives

darkreading: voting machines

From: jeremy.epstein at webmethods.com (Jeremy Epstein)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:44:28 -0400

Gary,

Interesting point.  I'm on the Virginia state commission charged with making
recommendations around voting systems, and we watched the Princeton video as
part of our most recent meeting.  The reaction from the election officials
was amusing and scary: "if this is so real, why don't you hack a real
election instead of this pretend stuff in the lab".  Pointing out that it
would (most likely) be a felony, and people like Rubin, Felten, and others
are trying to help security not go to jail didn't seem to impress them.
Also pointing out that the Rubin & Felten examples used out-of-date code
because vendors won't share anything up-to-date doesn't seem to impress
them.  [This in response to Diebold's claim that they were looking at old
code, and the problems are all "fixed".]

I frankly don't think anything is going to impress the election officials
(and some of the elected officials) short of incontrovertible evidence of a
DRE meltdown - and of course, we know that there could well be a failure
(and may have been failures) that are unproveable thanks to the nature of
software.

--Jeremy

P.S. One of the elected officials on the commision insisted that Felten
couldn't possibly have done his demo exploit without source code, because
"everyone" knows you can't do an exploit without the source.  Unfortunately,
the level of education that needs to be provided to someone like that is
more than I can provide in a Q&A format.  I tried giving as an example that
around 50% of the Microsoft updates are due to flaws found by people without
source, but he wouldn't buy it.... (he was using a Windows laptop, but
doesn't seem to understand where the fixes come from).