Secure Coding mailing list archives

security half-life and critical mass

From: securecoding2dave at davearonson.com (securecoding2dave at davearonson.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:43:43 -0400

Mark Graff wrote:

I have therefore often wondered if we should be talking, not about how
"secure" a system is, in a static sense, but rather what its security
half-life is.

Interesting point!

This reasoning leads me to the
thought that Mac OS X, for example, is "more secure" than Windows XP for
reasons having nothing directly to do with design or implementation, but
rather pertaining to its very ubiquity. XP, in this sense, is the center of
the bullseye.

This one however has been raised many times before.  Yes, if MacOS (or
Linux or BSD or OS/2 or whatever) had a much larger market share, there
would be many more attacks developed against it than now.  However, from
all I've read (not having actually TRIED to attack it myself), it is
indeed much more securely designed, implemented, and typically deployed,
installed, and maintained, than Windows.  So, assuming equal market
share, I predict that you'd have several times the viruses, worms,
rootkits, etc. directed against Windows, simply because there are
several times as many chinks in its armor, and, just as now, gazillions
of times as many Windows machines actually broken into or otherwise
damaged due to bad security, as Mac.

Gee, maybe software systems emanate a modicum of "unsecurity gravity", so
that if you get a great many of them together (that is, if millions and
millions of people buy the product), security plummets, and declines as the
square of the distance to True Dead Center of the day's commonplace
platform. Or, to put it another way, this is why XP sucks.

It's one factor.  If the market share figures were reversed, there would
probably not be as many attacks written for it, and certainly there
would be fewer worm-infected machines trying to attack other XP boxen.
But it's far from the only reason.