Secure Coding mailing list archives

Bugs and flaws

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:13:27 -0500

I'm with you on this threat modeling thing...which is the process  meant to lay flaws bare.  I like to call it "risk
analysis" of course (using american war nomenclature instead of british/australian).  STRIDE is an important step in
the right direction, but a checklist approach has essential creativity constraints worth pondering.

My only point in making the distinction clear (bugs vs flaws) is to make sure that we don't forget design,
requirements, and early lifecycle artifacts in our rush to analyze code.

Please do both (touchpoints 1 and 2 in Software Security).

gem