Secure Coding mailing list archives

Intel turning to hardware for rootkit detection

From: cradle at umd.edu (David Eisner)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:20:36 -0500

Ron Forrester wrote:
On 12/13/05, Kenneth R. van Wyk <Ken at krvw.com> wrote:

The detection mechanism seems to primarily be looking primarily for non-OS
software modifying OS inhabited memory blocks.  Wonder how they're definining
(and maintaining the definition) of each...  I also wonder how it'll impact
near-OS software installations like, say, device drivers, authentication
plug-ins, and other things that need to poke pretty deeply into the OS in
order to install.

I have to admit, when I initially read about this I immediately
dismissed it as nothing but marketing hype -- what little details they
gave for the solution seemed to me to be less than practical and
certainly would have issues adapting to targeted attempts to deceive
the mechanism.

A bit more detail:

http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/research/runtime-integrity-1205.htm

http://www.intel.com/technology/comms/download/system_integrity_services.pdf

I haven't read these carefully, but it reminds me a bit of trusted
computing [1].  In fact, one of the authors (first link) is a member of
the Trusted Computing Group. Wouldn't it be funny if proposed rootkit
"cures" turn out to provide a good platform for more formidable DRM
technology?

-David

[1] http://www-personal.si.umich.edu/~rwash/projects/trusted/