Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Re: Application Insecurity --- Who is at Fault?

From: "Yousef Syed" <ysyed () dial pipex com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:17:50 +0100

Further to the Bridge Example (and any other construction); there is a great
deal of external oversight involved here.
The plans will be submitted to the planning departments, and building
control of the local council (at least in the UK). They will be scrutinized
by these external systems long before any planning/building approval is
given to the project to even begin. [Are the foundations deep enough. Will
the soil support those foundations? Is there access to the Sewerage system?
Are there enough Fire Exits etc. To civic issues - Are you cutting down too
many trees? Is there enough parking for the proposed use? Etc.]. Plans will
be sent back and forth to the Architects until they are satisfied.
When the initial foundations are laid, someone will come from the council's
planning department to oversea this and make sure that the correct
consistency of cement is used and the correct depth is dug etc.
Numerous different regulations need to be satisfied before and during the
construction project.

Software projects are way behind that level of oversight!

Ys
P.S. My dad is an Architect, so I spent MANY Summers on building sites, in
my youth... :-)
--
Yousef Syed