Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Re: Application Insecurity --- Who is at Fault?

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:32:21 +0100

I strongly disagree with this.

Rigorous professional standards for mechanical and structural
engineering came about only *after* a well-defined "cookbook" of how to
properly engineer things was agreed upon. Only after such standards are
established and *proven effective* is there any utility in enforcing the
standards upon the practitioners.

Software is *not* yet at that stage. There is no well-established cook
book for reliably producing reliable software (both of those "reliably"s
mean something :)  There are *kludges* like the SEI model, but they are
not reliable. People can faithfully follow the SEI model and still
produce crap. Other people can wholesale violate the SEI model and
produce highly reliable software.

It is *grossly* premature to start imposing standards on software
engineers. We have not a clue what those standards should be.

Crispin

Edward Rohwer wrote:

I my humble opinion, the bridge example gets to the heart of the
matter. In the bridge example the bridge would have been design and
engineered by licensed professionals, while we in the software business
sometime call ourselves "engineers" but fall far short of the real,
professional, licensed engineers other professions depend upon.  Until
we as

a profession are willing to put up with that sort of rigorous examination
and certification process, we will always fall short in many area's and of
many expectations.

Ed. Rohwer CISSP