Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: How do we improve s/w developer awareness?

From: der Mouse <mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:07:52 +0000

Changing liability laws on the other hand is a simple solution.

But at what price?  It would kill off open source completely, as far as
I can see, in the jurisdiction(s) in question.  (How many open source
projects could afford to defend a liability suit even if they (a)
wanted to and (b) had a won case?)

Of course, if you don't mind that, go right ahead.  You don't say where
you are, but looking over your message I see reason to thin it's the
USA, and I long ago wrote off the USA as a place to write code.  I
think it could be a very good thing for the USA to try such laws; it
would give us hard data about what their effect is, rather than the
speculation (however well-informed) that's all we have to go on now -
and it quite likely would have the pleasant side effect of pushing most
open source projects out into the free (or at least freer) world.

/~\ The ASCII    der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/ \ Email!      7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B