Secure Coding mailing list archives

Open Source failure analysis tool released for Linux

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () krvw com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:33:13 +0100

Greetings,

Saw an announcement today on DesktopLinux.com (see
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6923692411.html for the full scoop) about
an open source tool to analyze software failures on (IA-32) Linux systems.
Although not specifically security-related, the vendor claims that the tool
will help improve software reliability.

I believe that we don't do enough to analyze and learn from software failures.
Look at how other engineering disciplines analyze their failures and then
learn from them -- bridge collapses, airplane crashes, etc., all come to
mind.  Even the vulnerability advisories that we get from vendors, CERT,
etc., don't typically focus on the root cause (no pun intended), but the
solution set.  That's fine for the people that run computers, but not for the
people that write the software.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk
--