Secure Coding mailing list archives

Grass roots secure coding efforts

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () KRvW com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:30:38 +0100

Greetings all,

One of the things that I hear most from software developers when I deliver
secure coding tutorials and such is that they're likely to be unable to do
things like detailed threat modeling, risk analyses, etc.  The reason most
often cited is that they're under tight deadlines and there's not enough time
in the schedule for such activities.

Of course, to really expect any sort of culture shift, there would need to be
top-level support for adopting secure coding practices.  That said, I often
spend some time brainstorming lists of things that the students can consider
trying by themselves as soon as they are back in their offices.  I'm talking
about "grass roots" sorts of activities that won't break the bank (or
schedule) here.

Some of the things that the students have suggested include the following:

- Informal peer review of code modules
- Incorporation of (usually free) static code review tools in the code reviews
- Setting up an information sharing site/portal/drive internally for
developers to load useful links, tools, experiences, etc.
- and so on

Most often, the students agree that these sorts of things are the types of
simple first steps that they could reasonably expect to take.  Anyone here
have other suggestions on other first steps that developers might consider,
even in the absence of top-level embracing of a more secure development
methodology?

(No, I'm not suggesting that a simple list like this be any sort of substitute
for a more in-depth program, but it's a starting point for developers to
experiment with in trying to improve the security of their software dev
practices.)

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk
--