Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Top security papers

From: George Capehart <gwc () acm org>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:04:27 +0100

On Monday 09 August 2004 01:27, Wall, Kevin allegedly wrote:
Matt Setzer wrote...

It's been kind of quiet around here lately - hopefully just because
everyone is off enjoying a well deserved summer (or winter, for
those of you in the opposite hemisphere) break.  In an effort to
stir things up a bit, I thought I'd try to get some opinions about
good foundational materials for security professionals.  (I'm
relatively new to the field, and would like to broaden my
background knowledge.)  Specifically, what are the top five or ten
security papers that you'd recommend to anyone wanting to learn
more about security?  What are the papers that you keep printed
copies of and reread every few years just to get a new perspective
on them?

Okay, for starters, in no particular order:

<snip great list>

I have two other items that I'd add to the list.  Neither are really
papers, though.  One is the NIST Introduction to Computer Security (SP
800-12 at
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-12/handbook.pdf.

The other is Bruce Schneier's book _Secrets_and_Lies_ . . .

Cheers,

George Capehart
--
George W. Capehart

Key fingerprint:  3145 104D 9579 26DA DBC7  CDD0 9AE1 8C9C DD70 34EA

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."  -- RFC 1925