Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Anyone looked at security features of D programming language compared to Spark?

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () KRvW com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:23:27 +0100

ljknews wrote:

At 11:56 AM -0700 4/22/04, Jim & Mary Ronback wrote:

Safety critical sofware has a lot of overlap with the requirements for high security software.

Can anyone think of any _differences_ between those domain (process and
code-wise, not regulatory-wise).

Well, I would normally think of "safety critical" as an embedded
application that controls a public system like an elevator, subway, or
an airplane navigation system, and a "high security" application as one
that controls a state defense function, such as an access control system
to a bank vault or a missile launch/guidance app.  As such, I would
think that the two domains' failure states are likely to be completely
different, depending on the _actual_ nature of the function that the
applications perform.  E.g., an elevator application should fail open on
the ground floor, such as in a fire, whereas a missile launch
application should fail closed.  In my view, it all gets back to the
nature of the "business" that the application is running.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk
KRvW Associates, LLC
http://www.krvw.com