Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Yoran on the state of software security

From: "Greenarrow 1" <Greenarrow1 () msn com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:45:57 +0100

I did not want to go into depth on this subject, but theres been talk of
rendering the United Nations control of the Internet and personally I would
shudder to think that some countries get any control which impede or control
what people can do on the Internet.  I will not name them but I feel you
know which ones I am talking about.

The only reason the US Government went open about their security is because
of the amount of breakins and the public learning of them, not because they
wanted us to know.  To me it is utter nonsense that even the Department of
Homeland Security (newly formed since 9-11) cannot even secure their
Internet.  They are trying to shove security (Cyber Defense) which is so
losely bound that a script kiddie could break into it.  For one to preach
security one must know something about it.

I did not iterate in my statement that IT security was better then the
governments but I do know from past events government controls do not work
on such things.  I could babble on the things I seen that just did not work
through government controls and not just in the US.  Yes security needs to
tighten up the ship but where is the answer?  Getting home users to place
security on their computers is one of the hardest events of the Internet.
Patch management in corporations is in a quagmire specially now with MS
issuing abundant flaw fixes within one patch.

I do agree there has to be some kind of control but by whom and the type of
control would be the anwser.

Regards,
George
Greenarrow1
InNetInvestigations-Forensics

[Ed. Let's please let this thread drop now, ok?  KRvW]