Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: ACM Queue article and security education

From: ljknews <ljknews () mac com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:06:06 +0100

At 8:10 PM -0400 6/29/04, James Walden wrote:

While there are non-university classes and workshops that teach software security, I doubt that a majority of
developers have attended even one such class.  Software security has to be integrated into the CS curriculum before we
can expect a majority of developers to have the appropriate skills, and then there will still be the issue of applying
them under deadline pressure.

That said, I agree with most of the article.  We can't wait for years to software security to become a standard part
of the curriculum, and most of his suggestions, such as turning C compiler warnings into errors, are good ideas no
matter what the current status of security education.  I also second his enthusiasm for perl's taint mode.

Teaching students how to avoid problems in C should be a separate (optional)
course.

Dealing with issues that have _not_ been solved in higher level languages
should be a required course not burdened by the baggage of C.

And whether something is a "warning" or an "error" is outside the scope
of the programming language itself and into the build process which would
allow completion in the face of warnings.