Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Interesting article on the adoption of Software Security

From: Andreas Saurwein <saurwein () uniwares com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:11:52 +0100

Crispin Cowan wrote:
However, where ever C made an arbitrary decision (either way is just as
good) PL/M went the opposite direction from C, making it very annoying for
a C programmer to use.

Does that mean it did not make any decision at all? What was the outcome?

Michael S Hines wrote:
When you've been around for a while, you start to see the same features
converge..  UNIX had quotas, we got Quotas with Win XP Server (well earlier,
when you include the third party ISVs - as an add on).  IBM had Language
Environment (LE) before .NET come along.

Crispin Cowan wrote:
I think .Net borrows most heavily from Java. Java in turn borrows from
everyone. The "managed code" thing in particular leads back to the Pascal
P-code interpreter; a kludge to make the Pascal compiler easier to
implement and port. The innovation in Java was to take this ugly kludge
and market it as a feature :)

I'm not sure that it can be blamed on Pascal. Microsoft was shipping Excel
for the Mac in the early 80's as P-Code application and has been selling
P-Code generating compilers since about the same time. Ever since, MS was
strong on P-Code generating compilers.

Michael, let me please correct two more things in your comment:
1) there is no such thing as a Windows XP server (probably you refer to
Windows 2003 Server)
2) Quotas have been native to Windows 2000 already (lets not discuss quota
management now...)

cheers
Andreas