Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Re: Java sandboxing not used much

From: Jeremy Epstein <jeremy.epstein () webmethods com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:50:07 +0000

I agree with Ches, but need to mention that it's not always that simple.  I
offered my customers (as a no-cost feature) a Java sandbox file for our Java
server product... no one wanted it.  So it wasn't worth the effort to
develop/maintain.

While it's true that we need to make things simpler to use, we *also* need
to motivate users to take advantage of the security features we provide.  If
they don't see the value in using the sandbox.conf, then it won't be used,
even if it only requires a minimal effort.

--Jeremy